MidSun is proud of Sam B's recent accomplishments. Sam will be travelling to Washington DC with a group of students from across the city who participated in the Asper Foundation Human Rights & Holocaust Studies Program. This program included 20 hours of class time, a small group presentation on a historical leader and a book report on "Daniel's Story". Sam was also required to complete 20 hours of community service. The week long visit to Washington includes a visit to the Holocaust Museum, listening to a Holocaust survivor's testimony, a play at the Kennedy Centre, a visit to the Smithsonian, the Newseum, tours of the war monuments, a visit to the Canadian Embassy and the Congress, a visit to Georgetown and a boat cruise on the Potomac! On June 5th, 92 grade nine students will gather to celebrate their acheivement and each will sign an agreement to live their lives in a manner that will promote peace and tolerance throughout the world. His work is one example of a MidSun student building a better world. Good job Sam!
Tuesday, 24 April 2012
Tuesday, 10 April 2012
MSEES has extended the deadline for Grocery Gift Card forms from April 5 until April 13, 2012 as we have not reached the minimums required from the Grocery stores (i.e. Safeway, Co-op, Sobeys, & Superstore). Please drop off your forms and cheque to the school office by April 13, 2012. Forms can be found at the school website or in the office.
Please remember you can purchase gift cards for April, May & June 2012. And don't forget about the summer months.
Thanks again for your support in making this program a success!
Thursday, 5 April 2012
Leadership is busy this month. Here are some of the activities that are planned:
· April 11 – prepare for retro day by making a tye dye T-Shirt in the atrium at lunch for $5
· April 13 – Free the Children Assembly – Let’s make the world a better place!
· April 16 – Retro day – Wear clothing from the 80’s or earlier! Tug O war at lunch
· April 17- Hawaiian Day! Luau Relay at Lunch
· April 18- Multiplicity Day! Dress as twins or triplets
· April 19- Superhero Day! D.A.R.E. Assembly
· April 20- Jersey Day! Staff VS Student Hockey game for Right to Play 2:30-3:45 at South Fish Creek, Need $$ and forms to get in at the doors.
· April 23 – Wear Green for Earth day-Lights out in the afternoon
· April 24- Wear Blue to support water on the planet
· April 25 – Worms and Dirt TA challenge
· April 26 – Short day, Wear white to show your desire to keep our planet clean
· April 30- Animal Hat Day – Buy a tag to wear your hat in school and help support charity
Business is busy too. Here are the offerings from them:
· April 13, 20 and 26 are booster juice days
· April 4- I.C.E. Drinks for sale
· April 11- ice cream for sale
· April 18- ICE. Drinks for sale
· April 25 – Subway Subs
· Popcorn available each Tuesday at Lunch
· Mondays and Thursdays are charity Days – Watch for activities around the school.
Tuesday, 3 April 2012
The Grocery Gift Card Program has lots going on this week. March Gift cards can be picked up outside of the office, Monday April 2 or Tuesday April 3. New forms for the rest of the year were sent home Monday. Please look for the bright pink sheets. The deadline to have the forms and cheques in is April 5 - THIS Thursday. Forms can be found at the office or online if they don't seem to make it home. For more information check out the panel to the left of the blog on the school website.
Midsun school will be hosting a Drug Awareness Information Session for parents by the Calgary Police. This community event will take place on Tuesday April 3rd from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in the MidSun School Library. CPS will provide information that will make parents informed about the hazards that exist, and pre-emptive steps parents can take to protect their children. Towards the end of the evening, CPS will be taking questions from the public. Representatives from Alberta Health Services on hand to answer any related questions.
This is a great chance to become informed and be able to answer any questions your child might bring home after they see Dwayne Peace, an informative guest speaker, talk to them about the dangers of Drug use at a school assembly on April 19, 2012.
The event will be open to parents from Midsun School, other neighbouring schools, and members of the community. We hope to see you and your neighbors at this great event!